May 30, 2013

10 Minute Tapenade


How about a light appetizer that can stand up to the heat on a summer's day, can travel easily AND only take 10 minutes to whip up??

I've got you covered!

Tapenade is a Provencal dish hailing from the South of France.  There, is is most commonly enjoyed spread onto crusty slices of various breads.  The French make it in more of a paste form and include olives, capers and anchovies.  The name tapenade actually comes from the Provencal word for capers - tapenas.

If you ever end up on Jeopardy and that question arises...you can thank me with cookies!

Long before I ever knew what tapenade was my sister was crazy for those flavors...and still is!

Sure you can buy a jar of tapenade for about $7.00 - but why not make it and customize it to your palate?
Me, I like to make it chunkier, I love the textures and flavors that way and I truly do have a slight addiction to capers - do I ever!

My 8 year old has whipped this up on her own as well - when helping me in the kitchen.  She always wants to man either the stand mixer or the food processor, lol!  Easy-peasy!

10 Minute Tapenade

2 big cloves garlic, peeled (about 2 TBS)
1/4 cup capers, drained
1 - 6 oz can black olives, pitted and drained
3/4 cup green olives with pimento
1 small jar (6 oz) artichokes, drained and blotted dry
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 TBS olive oil
Black pepper to taste

Place garlic, capers, both olives and artichoke in your food processor bowl and pulse until combined.   Scrape into a large bowl, add in the vinegar, olive oil and pepper and toss until combined.  Serve with pita chips or fresh, thin slices of French bread.


Colleen's Notes:  You can make this up to a day ahead, just add the olive oil and do not add the vinegar until either just before serving or an hour ahead.  Toss well.

You can customize the flavors - add more or less garlic, omit the artichoke, add anchovies or roasted red peppers.  You can even sweeten it up a bit and add dried figs.  You can only use black olives also, which I think is the traditional way.

You can use this to stuff mushrooms, stuff chicken breasts or top a burger.  I bet this would be wonderful tossed with the Garlic Shrimp I make - just thought of that...now I have to try it out!



11 comments:

  1. Oh this is one of those times you wish Facebook had a "love" button! I'm a sucker for olives, caper and artichokes, but all together? Mmmm. Not sure I could find a gluten-free cracker that would do it justice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then put it over some GF pasta with a bit of garlic infused olive oil - yummmm!

      Delete
  2. Yeah! I love tapenade, and duh, it should be pretty easy to make. In fact, I think I've made it and canned it, too. I'll have to check my recipes and see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I have learning to can on my 2013 to-do list! Thinking of taking a class in Philly with Marisa McCellan :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love olive tapenade! This recipe is on my "must try" list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm. I just LOVE everything you post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! Thank you! You just made my day!

      Delete
  6. I would really like to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a great appetizer to put out for company.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks SO good. I am a huge olive fan -- I was actually just munching blue cheese stuffed olives before dinner and my children were totally horrified. The upside to that being... no sharing the tapenade!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am making this for my friday GNO event....looks fab and so quick!

    ReplyDelete