April 30, 2010

Salmon Cakes




I can't decide if these baby's are prettier uncooked or cooked...what do you think??

I am noooo fan of salmon, that's for sure. If I had a penny for every time someone heard that then said...it's all about what sauce you put on it...etc.

Nope!

Not or me, I just don't like the smell. To me salmon is unlike and other fish out there.

With that being said, EVERYONE in my life likes salmon...soooo...you know I cook it.

That is quite alright with me, I like making folks happy with food, I cook mushrooms after all...often(cringe).

I started making these about 10 years ago I guess, I know the idea came out of a magazine, but unfortunately i can not give credit as I have no clue which one.

I have added a bit of this and that over the years and change up the sauce, truthfully, I can even eat a bit of these. To me they are disguised lol!

These are great for a dinner party, way less expensive than crab cakes or even shrimp cakes for that matter and are too cute made as minis!

These are beautiful and easy...seriously. My 5 year old made most of what you see. Kids just love putting their hand in meat, fish etc to make "balls or cakes".
Then guess what...they WILL taste it!


Salmon Cakes with a Roasted Pepper-Olive Aioli

1 LB of salmon fillet(s)
1/4 cup scallions, sliced thin (whites and greens)
1 egg
1/4 cup parsley (flat leaf), chopped
2 TBS cilantro, chopped (optional)
1 1/4 cups fresh bread crumbs from a loaf of French bread
A few dashes (or more of red pepper)
2 TBS mayo
1 TBS Dijon Mustard (Grey Poupon Country Dijon is my fav)
2 TBS olive oil

Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water. Place salmon in the pan, cover and cook over high heat until simmering. reduce heat to low and cook for about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat, drain and let cool by placing salmon in your fridge for 20 minutes or so. Don't worry if the salmon is not thoroughly cooked thru - as the salmon cakes will be cooked as well.
Use a fork and flake the salmon into a bowl (my kids love doing this part. Add to that the scallions, parsley, cilantro if using, breadcrumbs, red pepper, mayo, mustard and egg. Combine well with your hands or a spatula.

Form into about 8 cakes, place on a plate, cover with wrap and place in your fridge for them to set (about 20 minutes).

Roasted Pepper-Olive Ailoi

1 good sized yellow or orange pepper
1 TBS rice wine vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
1 TBS Dijon mustard
A good dash of Sea or coarse salt
1 tsp (or more) of red pepper
5 TBS light olive oil
About 12 small green olives (to taste)

Broil the pepper in your oven on a piece of foil for a few minutes, turing occasionally, to evenly brown the skin. The skin begins to blister.
Don't overcook or blacken. This will just take a few minutes (but it brings out great flavor)

Once pepper is cool enough to handle, cut it apart, discarding the guts and seeds.
Cut it into chunks and place in your food processor. Give it a few pluses. Add the rest of the ingredients, pulse until smooth. Cover until ready to serve.

To cook the salmon cakes, place 2 TBS of olive oil in your frying/saute pan and heat the oil over medium high heat. Carefully place the cakes in the pan and over medium heat, cook about 2-3 minutes a side. Serve with ailoi and enjoy!

This aioli is tasty and can even be served as a spread on slices of baguette!

Enjoy!!

Colleen

8 comments:

  1. Well I love salmon and these look delicious. Both are pertty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are my husband's favorite!! However, I'm like you on the whole 'salmon' thing...(and mushroom thing). Yuck! I can't stand the smell of salmon, but I do cook it for him. These look deelish..ya know..for him and I think I'll just have to give them a try. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holly, hope your husband likes them!

    Seriously, if it came down to choosing to eat salmon or shrooms...I don't know....better yet neitherand lose 10 pounds lol! There's an idea a salmon shroom diet..HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you. Salmon is not my favorite either for the same reasons but those look so good I may have to pull out a clothes pin and go for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so delishious.... where were you during lent I was so looking for great recipes... this looks soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Update! My husband loved them! They were beautiful, but I had a salad! LOL!
    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great!! I am with you!!! However I do like the aioli...I spread some on slices of French bread!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great!! I am with you!!! However I do like the aioli...I spread some on slices of French bread!!

    ReplyDelete